How To Safely Use A Power Bank Jump Starter To Jump A Car
Before You Use A Power Bank To Jump Start Your Vehicle
Jump starting your car can be dangerous, and it is crucial that it is done properly in order to avoid injury and/or damage to your vehicle. We always recommend that you read your car's manual as well as the manual of your power bank starter and follow all of the guidelines and instructions from the manufacturer on how to properly jump-start your car.
- Read the owners' manual on how to jump-start your car
- Turn OFF the ignition and set the parking brake.
- Place automatic transmissions in "Park" and standard transmissions in "Neutral".
- Wear safety glasses and gloves while using the portable jump starter
- Locate the battery. Check the manual if necessary.
- Keep the red and black ends of the cables from touching each other.
- You may need to remove a plastic covering to expose the battery posts. Check manual if necessary.
- Identify the positive (+) and negative battery posts of the battery
- Make sure the battery posts are clear of dirt or grime. Gently clean if necessary.
- Make sure the power bank jump starter is OFF prior to making any connections.
- Make sure the car is OFF prior to making any connections.
- Connect the positive (red) clamp to the positive(+)post of the battery
- Connect the negative (black) clamp to an unpainted metal part of the engine block away from the battery, fuel lines, and the carburetor
- With the jumper cable clamps are in place, you can turn the power of the portable jump starter ON
- Try turning your car on
If your car starts, then that is a great sign!
If it does not start right away, do not crank it for a period longer than 5 seconds. Give it 2-3 minutes before trying again. If it still will not start then your battery may be completely dead, and you may simply need a new battery. You can get your battery tested at most O'Reilly automotive stores for free.
- Turn OFF the portable power bank jump starter
- Remove the cable clamps in REVERSE ORDER: 1st remove the negative (black) clamp, 2nd remove the positive (red) clamp - Make sure the clamps DO NOT touch
- Store your power bank
- Drive your car for at least 20 minutes to allow the battery to recharge
- Be sure to recharge your portable jump starter once you get home
Jump Starting Newer Vehicles
In fact, if your car is a 2000 or newer model, it most likely has a lot of electric components such as computers in it that make jump starting a car the old fashioned way a bigger risk. It is possible that using booster cables on the two cars could cause damage to one or both of the vehicle's computer systems. That is why is crucial that you always read your car's manual before attempting a jump.
This is where the newer portable jump starters come to the rescue. They have specifically been designed to help protect your car's electronics while providing the power to jump-start your vehicle's battery. It is still advisable that you read the manual of the power bank in addition to your car's manual before jumping.
More Ways To Be Prepared On The Road
While owning a portable booster power bank is always a great idea, we do suggest that you have a set-up jumper cables in your car as well as an extra precaution. You never know when your battery is going to need a jump, and if your portable kit isn't charged or working, you sure will be glad you have the booster cables.
Now that you are prepared to jump your car with a power bank jump starter, it is time that you consider investing in a car emergency kit.
Benefits Of Having A Power Bank Jump Starter In Your Car
There are many benefits to using a portable booster jump starter, and one of the biggest advantages is that you can jump-start your car on your own without needing a second car to help you out. This is a huge time saver because you don't have to call anyone to come to your rescue, and then hope that your car is in a decent position to pull their car up close enough to connect the booster cables. You see where this is going. The bottom line is investing in a portable power bank jump starter kit can is truly worth it. Additional benefits include:
+ Multi-purpose - many can be used to charge phones, laptops, and more
+ Small and portable - they are easy to store in your car
+ Can be used anywhere - making you self sufficient and makes reaching your battery easier in tight spots
+ Easy to recharge - charging the portable power banks is as easy as plugging it in at home