Bicycling is a fun, healthy and active family sport. However, it is important to remember that bicycles are not toys, they are vehicles and riders must follow the rules of the road. Following some basic safety tips and rules will make your bicycling adventures safer and more enjoyable. With gas prices at all time highs riding your bike to work or to school is a great way to save and also a good way to get your daily workout in. Basic bicycle safety is common sense but a healthy reminder never hurts. Take the time to teach your kids to bike safely by following safety tips and rules of the road. Bicycling can build incredible memories for your family that will last forever.
RULES OF THE ROAD:
- Helmet - Always wear a properly fitted helmet.
- Adjust bicycles to fit - If you are not clear on what makes a good fit visit your local bike shop.
- Avoid road hazards - Be aware of potholes, animals, debris in the road and other hazards that may cause a crash.
- Go with the traffic flow - Ride on the right in the same direction as other vehicles.
- Follow the law - You have the same rights and duties as drivers. Obey traffic signals and stop signs.
- Be predictable - Make your intentions clear to drivers. Signal turns and check behind you before turning or changing lanes.
- Be conspicuous - Rider where drivers can see you, wear bright clothing. Use a front white light, a red rear light and reflectors at night.
- Think ahead - Anticipate what drivers, pedestrians and other bicyclists will do next. Look out for debris, potholes and utility covers.
- Ride ready - Check all your equipment before riding. Carry repair and emergency supplies appropriate for your ride. Wear a helmet.
- Keep your cool - Road rage benefits no one and only makes situations worse.
Share this post
- Tags: bicycle safety